Wednesday 25 February 2015

Jonathan Leads Mourners to Bid Bayelsa Female Politicians Goodbye

25 Feb 2015 President Goodluck Jonathan at the burial Segun James in Yenagoa
 Wailing continued on Tuesday in Bayelsa State as the crème de la crème of the state political elite bade female politicians who died in a motor accident on Valentine’s Day goodbye. President Goodluck Jonathan led the mourners at the burial of the eight politicians and their driver who died along the East-West road in Rivers State, saying the Bayelsa State has lost eight of her best female politicians. A very emotional President Jonathan announced that three of the deceased politicians were his relations, including Mrs. Consider Amadi, a cousin; Elizabeth Allison-Oguru, wife of the Secretary to Bayelsa State Government (SSG) and late Clara Abila. The other dead included Ayakpo Otolo, Elizabeth Nisakpo, Ginbra Pamowei, Ruby Benjamin, Acha Pere-Kalama and the driver of the ill-fated bus conveying the victims, Kelechi Onyekwuru. The president at the special state memorial service held in honour of the deceased said their deaths came as a rude shock to him. “We have lost eight of our best. Late Elizabeth Oguru is from my village, Amadi is my second cousin, Abila is also my relation,” he said, adding that all the deceased were people close to him and his family. President Jonathan, who spoke in emotion-laden voice, cried that “these caskets contain the remains of people so dear to me. When I remember February 14, which was supposed to be Valentine’s Day, it is so unfortunate that it has turned out to be a black Saturday for Bayelsa people. “That was the day I hosted widows of our soldiers. When I got home, I got the news of the sad incident. I lacked words to console the bereaved families. Though some are my relations, I believe they have finished playing their roles. Let me join others to express my condolences to the bereaved families.” In her tributes, the wife of the President, Dame Patience Jonathan, described the deceased as her sisters and friends. “You remain my blood sisters, you left when I needed you most. I pray that someday, we shall meet again,” she said. Patience who used the opportunity to throw in the towel over the cold war between her and the state Governor, Seriake Dickson, called on political actors in the state, saying: “Bayelsa is a small state and peace must reign. Let us put politics aside so that we can live in unity.” Also speaking, Dickson expressed sadness over the demise of the female politicians. He prayed God to grant the bereaved families the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss. In his exhortation, titled: “The ways of God’, Pastor Zilly Aggrey, said nobody can explain the incident that happened. And that in situation like this, nobody can query God. Death is inevitable.” http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-leads-mourners-to-bid-bayelsa-female-politicians-goodbye/202666/

No comments:

Post a Comment