Saturday 16 August 2014

Fan once kissed me in my husband’s presence –ONORIODE ODAH OVWURIE

Onoriode Odah Ovwurie is the Editor-In-Chief of NOW magazine. In this interview with CHRISTIAN AGADIBE, she talks about her music career, magazine and life generally.
What have you been up to lately?
I am rebranding myself, and bringing my publications to the world and to bring out the good talents that God has deposited in me. This year, I will come out big. I am the Editor-In-Chief of NOW, a bi-monthly magazine; I want to take it seriously now. I want to impact people’s life positively.
What inspired you to go into publication?
When I did my project work in school, my supervisor told me that I write very well, and she thinks I can go forward in the talent. During one of my projects also, my partner observed that we can really impact the people through writing. As we all know, the reading culture in Nigeria has gone down the drain. The use of internet has become rampant and it isn’t really helpful. Now, the magazine will help people to read interesting articles on how to make their lives better, so, it is like giving back to the society.
Apart from this, have you been giving back to the society?
Yes, I have been singing and people appreciate it, I am here today to sing after I have sung for two other shows today. So, it is apparent that I have tried in my own little way to give back to the society in terms of showing love to everybody regardless of their status.
Talking about love, has anybody shown you true love?
Yes, my husband is my love, without him, things won’t go well. I am happily married and he is my source of inspiration now.
Does he get jealous when you perform on stage and rocking your body with men?
He is very understanding and caring. He met me singing, and so, it is something he has learnt to accept since it is my passion. He also trusts and supports me all the time.

How did you start singing professionally?
I won’t say it is from birth or so, but I will say that it is a family thing; my late father imparted the appraisal of music to all of us. I started singing in secondary school. I have been organising shows and debates but I became an independent and professional musician in OAU, where I studied Sociology and Anthropology. Then, I organise, anchor and produce school shows. Later on, when I came to Lagos, the first song I sang was with Ojeez band in the stadium in 2001.
Have you released albums or singles?
I have my album, though I haven’t pushed it because I feel that it is now that Nigeria is mature to appreciate my type of music. I was under a November record classical label with some highly achieved people. We were about to release my album in 2003/2004, until the itching issue in the facilities came out. I was a down tone singer before I deviated to my type of music now. Well, I have an album which I am working on now and it is going to come out in a big way very soon. I am not going to release a lot of songs in the album for financial reasons but it is going to be nice.
Looking at the industry now, it is competitive. What is your selling point?
My selling points are my voice and courage, they distinguish me from others and make me who I am. I like doing a new thing, not copying what people have done. I can copy people who have also made impact on lives.
What’s your style of music?
As I said, I started as a down tone, i.e., reggae sensing, but now, I have a particular style because I am versatile. I can do old school, rock, R&B, any style.
How do you think you can continue with your type of music to get to the top?
Denrele asked me a question when I performed a down tone song of mine. I have my own style in doing things and I think with that consistence coupled with the inspiration I get from other fellow female down tone musicians, it will keep me going.
What kind of genre do you specialize in?
I sing blues and I sing reggae. I can fit into any part of songs, my producer once asked me to sing a song while he brings the beat and at the end, I sounded like Shade Adu and Anita Baker and I was marvelled. I am not being proud but I fit into any genre of music. I might not be too fantastic with the Nigerian type of music because it is too hard and harsh. So, for a female who wants to emulate them, they crack and lose their voices though some have scaled through and I give them thumbs up for that.
What was your growing up like?
My father was a custom officer and he always gave us the best. We travelled a lot to different states and to South Africa. He was often transferred. I grew up in the North where I did my nursery, primary and secondary education. Then, I moved to the west, OAU for my tertiary education. I am from Urhobo, Delta State.
Did you ever perceive that you will be an entertainer while growing up?
Yes, I knew because I faced some little challenges while growing up relating to music. Then, my parents saw it in me that I took interest in music and beauty pageantry; I loved all that big lifestyle. I had a mind of my own; I didn’t allow them to dictate what I should do.
What determines your fashion sense?
A lot of things can determine that, I don’t follow trend, I am simple. On the contrary, the magazine I edit gives the current trends. I don’t follow trends because everybody wants to do it, rather I wear mine when it is not in vogue and in so doing, people will appreciate the fashion better. I am just Onose. Trend is just monotonous and boring.
What makes you stand out when it comes to fashion?
I am their fashion star and it is mainly because of my hair. I can be very creative with my hair, the hair really tells a lot of my fashion taste. I have not seen anyone who has the same hair as I do because I create most of my designs. It can take me about a week to make my hair.
What’s the sexiest part of your body?
I can’t flaunt any part of my body because it is my husband’s property and most especially, of God. Well, the most delicate and attractive part of my body is my skin. My brother was the first person to tell me that I have a nice skin and since then, it has stuck to my head. I take care of it sometimes by applying creams, though, not regularly. It is a gift from God; I even apply ori on it sometimes.
What is that romantic thing you did recently?
My most recent romantic event was when my husband and I went for a three-day relaxation though it wasn’t our anniversary. I do not have time to spend with him because of the nature of my job. We used that as an opportunity to spend time together.
How do you handle your male fans?
It has been by the grace of God, it has not been so hard because I grew up in the midst of four boys. We had two girls as the first and second and four boys while I am the last. My brothers taught me how to handle boys. If a guy comes near me and wants to flirt with me, from a guy’s perspective, I know how to answer him.
What is the craziest thing a fan has done to you?
I was about coming on stage and a man just wanted to hug me, caress and kiss me while my husband was there. My husband was just saying that I am a star. Well, I don’t just shout or hush at them; I am diplomatic in my relationship with them because we are products of our fan’s support.
Do you think music can fail you?
Music cannot fail me because music is life. Even when I am old, I will continue singing though maybe not professionally. My mum who is aged still sings today but not professionally.
Was there any time you wanted to quit music?
No, it is in me, I can’t quit because I am not in it for money, rather it is a gift. I love impacting on people’s lives and I don’t think that I can stop that for any reason. I have done free shows for people and I can still do; I just love adding value to people’s lives not mainly for money.
What is the source of your inspiration?
I don’t take any of the aforementioned. When I was singing reggae in school, many people thought that I took weed. It was a delusion because of my radical nature, I just overstress myself. This is my third show tonight and I am still striving on.
How do you balance your life as a wife and musician?
My husband is my backbone; he gives me encouragement and inspiration. In my next life, I will still marry him.
How did you guys meet?
We met in school; he was in his final year while I was a fresher.
How do you safeguard your marriage from challenges?
There is no marriage without challenges and problems. I just advise people with the little experience I have to believe in their marriages, husband and themselves. It is what I do. There is a secret I use which emanates from the Bible. I learnt that the husband is your head and you must be submissive to him but not that he will trample upon you.
What about the challenges you have in the music industry?
I have not really faced any challenge in my career because I am not into it for profit. I make my people proud. Anywhere I partake in a show, I leave people with positive statements about me. Though money is a challenge, I can say that I have not seen any female artiste in Nigeria that I am scared of.

Fan once kissed me in my husband’s presence –ONORIODE ODAH OVWURIE

No comments:

Post a Comment