Wednesday 8 October 2014

Abuja residents defy insecurity to celebrate Salah

Food price hike not enough deterrent, residents say
 The usual hike in prices of goods during festive periods has become a tradition in Nigeria. Therefore, it was no surprise the Sallah that ended yesterday followed the same trend in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)Abuja Metro survey of markets and interactions with celebrants revealed that sellers and dealers in those items that made the festive period tick used the opportunity to rip buyers off and almost marred their celebration. Volume and variety of food items at the Garki Modern Market which was no different from what it used to be, but the difference was the price change that affected every foodstuff. Though, it was the first day of Salah celebration, most of the sellers in the market are northerners and Muslims who didn’t stay in the comfort of their homes to mark the day. Instead, they were busy making sells in the market, as porters and wheelbarrow operators had their celebration in a special way, being busier in the market than in the usual market days with better patronage.
Abuja Metro engaged some of the sellers in the market on the sudden increase of food items and why the Muslims preferred selling on a special day instead of celebrating.
A woman who pleaded anonymity willing volunteered information and noted that things are hard and she needs the business of the day more than the celebration at home as they might be nothing to celebrate with if she stayed at home.
She said: “Actually, it is normal to experience high cost in the prices of food stuffs during festival periods, which is also peculiar with Christmas, though during Salah it is higher, especially the price of beef, mutton and veal. Sometimes, a quantity that used to sell at N1,000 might rise to as much as N1,500. As an individual, I prefer white meat to beef or goat meat, so I bought two chickens at N2,000.
Speaking with Abuja Metro a butcher that deals in goat meat, Mr. Empiram Nnajiofor an indigene of Enugu State appreciated God for the turn-out of customers at the market, but also explained why there were increases in prices of food items. ‘I appreciate God that business is good today, as you can see I deal in goat meat. Though, usually prices of food items increase during a period like this. A kilo of beef usually sells at N1,000 but today some meat sellers sells it for as much as N1,300, N1,200 depending on the way they bought. It is their big celebration like our Christmas, so we are elated on the way business is going well today. Though, the increase also affected the price of goat meat in the market, a live goat was increased by N1,000 but it depends on the sizes of the pieces of goat meat you want to buy. Of course, it also affected the usual price, but customers understood and patronised us immensely today to celebrate Salah’.
Mr. Mohammed Dani also spoke on why he didn’t stay back to mark the day rather preferred doing business. “I am from Kaduna State, a Muslim, but if I don’t do business today, who will feed me, so I had to come out and make use of the day. I have made sales today and I am very happy. Salah can wait while I do business with money in my hand, I can celebrate Salah after the period. What matters is being alive and I thank God for this day.
Jerry Dauda, a tomatoes seller also appreciated God for good business on Sallah. “I thank Sallah for this period you can see that business is doing well, though we usually sell a basket of tomatoes at N800 but we sell today for N100 or N1,200 depending on the tomatoes type. I am a Muslim, but I intend to celebrate tomorrow Sunday with my family and friends, hopefully the tomatoes, peppers and tatashe I have in shock will finish today as you can see.”
Dalami Abudulahi, chickens dealer, also appreciated the turn-out of customers at the market, he was delighted on the high patronage of chickens by people, especially non-Muslims at the market. “I am happy for the sales of chickens today in the market. Customers really patronised us due to the increase in the price of cow meats, we didn’t increase the price of chickens is still the same price depending on the sizes which ranges from N1000 to N1,300. As a Muslim my plan is to celebrate after festival season, so that my customers will not leave my shop to another.”

Defying insecurity
Aside their ordeal in hike in prices of goods, Abuja residents turned out in mass to celebrate Salah, despite the fear of the unknown bomb blast scaring some people away from going to recreational centres to acknowledge the day.
Abuja Metro visited the popular Jabbi Lake on Sunday, October 5. Sighting the crowd on fun trip and sightseeing was exciting, just like the festive periods at the Bar Beach in Lagos, Ibeno Beach in Akwa Ibom and some other fun spots in the nation. So many people gathered for various activities like horse ride, and swimming. It was sincerely astonishing walking into the lake to see numerous Nigerians regardless of their ethnic, religious or tribal differences in celebration mood at the lake.
While some were on boat ride on the lake, others were waiting for their turn to have a feel of the boat ride. While others were enjoying the horse ride and games played in admiration of many at the lake ground. Also at the event centre, Silverbird Cinema and the turnout of fun seekers was massive, with joy and excitement in their faces despite the security challenges and the birth of Ebola in Nigeria.
Abuja Metro engaged some of the fun seekers to get their reactions on the celebration in the recreational centres, here is what we gathered.

Musa Ibrahim
Salah day celebration is a day set aside for families and friends coming together to celebrate, it is a moment when you see people from different countries in recreational centers. We are happy and grateful to Allah to mark the day with my family at the Silverbird Cinema. As for security challenges and bomb blast God is in control because it is God that owns our lives. All we need to do is pray and ask for His protection. Definitely, He will protest you and no evil will befall you.

Aisha Umar
I came here to have fun and celebrate Salah as a Muslim, because staying at home will be bored that is why am here at the lake to catch fun. Though I entertained fears of bombing, but I took the risk to have fun. And I think Ebola case has reduced bombing, we hope they will allow us enjoy a peaceful atmosphere in Abuja. Honestly, I don’t think there is need for crisis in a country God has blessed. I urge our leaders to govern us with honesty and sincerity, because the enemies of Nigeria didn’t emerge from the moon. They are citizens of our great country, let’s join hands and make Nigeria great by helping Mr. President to be peaceful youths of our land.

Steven Obasi
I came to celebrate Salah with my Muslim friend and my joy knows no bounds meeting this crowd here. I am really happy being here today. I am not afraid of bombing, because people who were affected in the past never planed for it.

Ali Abu
I am here to enjoy Salah with my friend to communicate with some of my classmates. Honestly, my mother debunked my going out but I had already made arrangements to catch fun with my friends. So, I had to convince her that nothing like bombing will occur and she prayed for our safety and I believe God is strongly with us.

Mohammed Aliu
This is our big Salah, and I had already planned having fun with my family regardless of security challenges that’s why we are here. So, I believe God will protect us from premature and malicious death. And to Allah be the praise there are no news of bombing anywhere and we hope that peace will remain in Nigeria, despite Ebola issue, insecurity is our greatest challenge in Nigeria.

Maryam Igwe
Though I am not a Muslim but it’s festival period and public holidays, it wasn’t a bad idea joining in the mood of celebration and you can see we are having fun. I was uncomfortable with the insecurity problems in the country, but it wouldn’t deny me the pleasure of having fun.
At the Ceddi Plaza branch of the Silverbird Cinemas citizens were seen in fun activities such as graphical computer gaming, board gaming and cinema sightings. The atmosphere was relaxed as citizens commended the security of environment. “The environment is safe and conducive for the celebrations, we are enjoying the break,” affirmed Mr Temi Azeez.
Similarly, at the Millennium Park, citizens expressed pleasure at being able to see the holidays and celebrate it.  “The Sallah is fine and we thank God for life, since there is no money, we have got to enjoy the little holidays we see,” said Mr Abdul Abdul, a mechanical engineer. Also, there was a myriad of fun activities like bottle shooting, photo shoots, balloon competition, while some families were content to just stay together and eat.
In the words of Abubakar Gulu, a civil servant: “Prior to this holidays, I barely have time to spend with my family, so today, I am not engaging in any activity aside sitting and watching my family.”
As to the turnout of citizens despite the apparent security challenges, there were varied opinions about the issue. Zaratu Mohammed pointed out that whatever is due to happen will happen despite the location. According to Zainab Yusuf, her belief in God is able to make her come out to celebrate confidently. In the words of Ismail Yakubu: “I have confidence in the secure state of the park and I was sure nothing would happen.”
The Sallah holidays holds various meanings for different people. While some see it as a time to unwind, others go for relaxation and quiet. In any case, Abuja citizens have proven that there are not many things that would stop them from enjoying their well-deserved break.

No comments:

Post a Comment