Saturday 11 October 2014

TESTIMONIES AND INTERVIEWS… DIMGBA IGWE 1956-2014

STRAIGHTFORWARD AND GOD-FEARING
Let me begin by saying that the news of the death of Pastor Dimgba Igwe, pioneer Deputy Managing Director/Deputy Editor-in-Chief and until his death the Vice-Chairman of The Sun Group, shocked me beyond de­scription. And what came to my mind was the last interview he granted YES maga­zine; wherein he said, “…No one knows tomorrow.” Today, portions of that inter­view have become part of quotable Dimg­ba – a terrible prophesy.
To my friends at The Sun Newspapers, and his immediate family, I pray God to afford you the spirit and the courage to bear the death of Pastor Dimgba Igwe. We are all touched by his sudden exit.
One thing that fascinated me about Dimgba was his steady relationship with his ‘twin’ brother, Awoyinfa, from a different Nigerian nationality.
From a distance, I remained one of their greatest admirers. Mike will definitely miss him more than we all will: I read Mike’s full text on Dimgba. Their relationship impacted on me greatly.
The late Pastor Dimgba Igwe was a man of few words but very practical, sincere, straightforward and God-fearing. Sometime in 2006, I came closest to Dimgba Igwe on a mission to market IMPACTA web-offset printing machine to The Sun Newspapers. He was then the Deputy Managing Director/Deputy Editor-in-Chief.
After going through my proposal, he confessed that he liked and preferred the equipment I marketed to him, judging from feelers he got from Champion newspapers and New Times of Ghana – the two organisations were already using the equipment.
He regretted that they were not getting proper after-sales-services from (then) equipment brand they got from another source. He said that if I had come earlier than I did, they would have considered and gone for my equipment. He told me, with frankness, that The Sun publisher had committed the company to another brand of machine that was (then being) manufactured in China, for them. He left me with one promise and I quote him…. “Chief, in the future I am certain we would do business with you.”
Since then, I never got back to him but always remembered that my short encounter with him; he reconnected with me eight years later. As I write, our equipment would service The Sun Newspapers, Ghana and the New Telegraph here in Nigeria. Dimgba was a real man of God. And to my mind, Nigeria and Nigerian journalism in particular, will miss a great defender of its values and ethos.
CHIEF EDWIN IGBOKWE
Was the pioneer General Manager of PUNCH Newspapers and now Director International Marketing of IMPACTA web-offset machine manufacturers.

 CRAFT-MASTER
“D-I-M-G-B-A!” That was how our former boss at the Features Desk of the rested National Concord Newspaper, Mrs. Ewaen Osarenren used to drag his name in her aristocratic tone laced with a bit of Ishan ascent. She was very close to Dimgba Igwe then.
Both of them belonged to the Pentecostal Fellowship, which was holding every Wednesday in one of the rooms in the administrative building within the premises. I was told it was Dimgba who mooted the idea of holding the fellowship, while Mrs. Osarenren gave her total support. That was in the early 1990s.
That was how I came to know Dimgba Igwe very closely even though I was aware he was the Deputy Editor of the Weekend Concord, our sister publication. He was always in our office to see Ewaen, as he was fond of calling her, our Features Editor. And on many occasions, I was the one sent to see him by our boss for one thing or the other.
Our department was a two-room apartment. The outer office was the general office where we had our tables, while inside was for the Features Editor. We, in the general office: Nat Osewele, Tunde Akanni, Jide Orintusin, Mrs. Stella Ojeme, my humble self and two others on attachment, were always expecting Dimgba to come in every day to see Ewan and he never failed unless he was not around.
Dimgba and our boss were of opposite characteristics but they moved on fine. He was the quiet type, of small stature, spoke softly, looked fragile and innocent, seemed not to bother much about worldly things but could argue with our boss endlessly on his conviction. He wore  suit most of the time and walked with measured steps and was not given to wasting words. One thing that endeared us to him was that he read what we were writing at the Features Department even though he was not with us. He would praise or correct us where necessary.
There was a piece, a tribute I wrote in 1992 on a relation and friend who died in a motor accident like Dimgba.
As he came to our office, before he asked whether Ewaen was in, he muttered to me in his inaudible voice: “Sam, that your piece was very good, you will be a good writer if you work harder and be focused.” I thanked him profusely because for Dimgba to praise you, it means you did well.
I ran into Oga Dimgba at Sheraton Hotel, Ikeja sometime in 2003 not too long after The Sun emerged on the newsstand.
He asked where I was and whether I didn’t want to join “The Sun that had just risen?” I told him that I would love to be part of the team but that I was serving a political position in Abuja.
“I hope we have not lost you to politicians,” he muttered with a smile. “No, sir, I was just on a sabbatical,” I answered. He was not convinced but he wished me well. I met him in Abuja when The Sun marked its 10th anniversary at Yar’Adua Centre.
He reminded me of what he said 10 years earlier that I had been lost to politicians. “Sir, I will soon come back,” I assured. “Hopefully,” he said. But our motivator and “craft master” is lost to a reckless driver forever. God knows the why.
MR. SAM NWANZE
Author and Abuja-based journalist/ media consultant

BETTER EVEN IN DEATH
It is easy to say rest in peace but dif­ficult to comprehend if you have not been on that train before.
One callous way of life can lead to an icon’s demise. Most people often use this sentence: “This is how God wanted it,” but it is never so! God Himself created us perfectly with wisdom and knowledge but we choose to be careless to the detriment of others.
Our dear Dimgba, it is too appalling and unbecoming the way that insensitive driver wasted your precious life. I personally found it hard to comprehend his behaviour.
One thing is undeniable, you are better even in death. You are our very best journalist cum pastor and everyone appreciated and loved you dearly.
We will miss your gospel as well as your articles in The Sun.
OBINNA PASCHAL UZOMA Lagos.
AUTHENTIC MEDIA HERO
It was shocking; certainly the most devas­tating news I had received in a long time.
Mr. Femi Adesina (Managing Director of The Sun Newspapers and President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) had jolted me with his late Saturday morning SMS announcing the shocking death of our colleague, friend and brother, Mr. Dimgba Igwe.
“A car ran into our Vice Chairman, Mr. Dimgba Igwe, while he was jogging this morning. Sadly, he died later in the hospital. May his soul rest in peace. Amen.”
Adesina’s SMS was indeed terse but severe in its import. Apparently, I was one of the very few people to be informed. That was understandable: among other accomplishments, DI (as I affectionately called him) was a leading member of the Vienna-based International Press Institute (IPI). It was my lot as the secretary of the IPI Nigerian National Committee to break the news to the IPI Headquarters in Vienna and, more disturbingly, to our members in Nigeria, who were all very close to DI.
The sad news instantly transformed me into a passive participant at the 50th birthday of Kwara’s former First Lady, Toyin Saraki.
Kabiru Yusuf, chair of IPI Nigeria, away on IPI duties in Vienna, received the news from me calmly but his agony was evident in his response. Mallam Mohammed Haruna, who was driving when I hit him with the news, screamed. Former Governor Olusegun Osoba was in Ilorin for Mrs. Saraki’s birthday but I could not inform him until he was leaving the banquet hall. Aremo was so distraught, lamenting, like Mallam Haruna, that he was with Dimgba only last week at the NGE Annual Conference in Katsina.
I could not attend the NGE conference because of transport scheduling difficulties but it is apparent that our colleagues came in contact with DI last at that conference. Ever so punctual, I was told he was the first to register a t the conference. My elder brother and Executive Director of News Agency of Nigeria (Marketing and Lagos Operations), Chief Jide Adebayo, told me he and Dimgba sat together on the fligh t from Lagos to Katsina and the deceased was typically professionally engaging all through the flight. I have fond memories of DI, especially in IPI. For the past 18 years, I had hardly missed the annual World Congress and General Assembly of IPI. DI and his “twin brother”, Mr. Mike Awoyinfa, were my constant soulmates there. Only last April, we were together at the 2014 World Congress in Cape Town, South Africa. We had planned to attend the 2015 world congress in an obscure place in Asia that only DI knew and volunteered to lead us to. IPI World Congresses are usually some form of holiday for most Nigerian members. But not so for Dimgba and his twin. Yes, they often went on post- congress tours but they never missed the real business of the congress and the general assembly.
For Dimgba and Awoyinfa, the congresses were a veritable hunting ground for scoops. Their reporter instincts heightened whenever they spotted celebrities or newsmakers. While other delegates fell over themselves for photo opportunities with the VIPs, Dimgba and Awoyinfa would lay ambush for interviews.
During a condolence visit to the family residence in Lagos on Monday, I could not comfort Mrs. Dimgba enough. She was too much part of the deceased, a constant companion of her husband at IPI World Congresses. The grief in IPI is enormous. The Nigerian National Committee lamented the loss of “its distinguished member and media icon.” IPI Director, Ms Alison Mckenzie bemoaned the “very, very sad news of the exit of such a great guy. I will miss seeing him.” Ms Christiane Klint, IPI Manager (Membership and Global Relationship), who has more than two-decade-old close relationship with Nigerian IPI members, was equally inconsolable.
“Dimgba will be missed by the IPI community,” Klint said in her tribute.
The Nigerian media community is the greater loser of this quintessential, all-rounded reporter, editor, media manager, columnist, author and publisher.
• RAHEEM ADEDOYIN
Secretary, IPI Nigeria National Committee

 DIMGBA IGWE, GONE TOO SOON
Dimgba Igwe’s death, shocking as it were, was unexpected. Who could have imagined that a man who woke up hale and hearty on September 6, who said his prayers and then set out for the rigours of the day’s routine, starting with a keep-fit jogging, would be declared dead after being hit by a lousy and reckless driver, just like that.
To put it most ruefully, a man like Dimgba Igwe should not have suffered the misfortune of death at a time Nigeria required so much from him. Igwe, ever bubbly and full of life, knew he had much to give Nigeria. For that, he must pull himself together while keeping fit every day in order to cope.
He was indeed looking forward to another beautiful day when he took to jogging like many of us used to do. Mid way into the exercise, death came knocking in a most unexpected manner and used the impatient driver to accomplish his mission. What a manner of death!
The life of our dear friend and great colleague was cut short in a jiffy. That was the most painful aspect of the death of a friend who I respect for his talent and great intellect.
I can recall several memorable encounters I had with Dimgba Igwe. Indeed, we met in many international congresses of world editors and journalists. Each time, we shared good time and took photographs.
The attached photograph was taken a few years ago in Hyderabad, a city in South Central India with Dimgba, Emeka Izeze, myself and Demola Osinubi in attendance.
We were all in joyous mood at the yearly congress of the World Association Of Newspapers Proprietors (WAN). So was the case with other numerous congresses such as those of the International Press Institute (IPI).
In each of the congresses both Dimgba and Mike Awoyinfa were always at their best, making profound contributions.
Of note was this year’s IPI World Congress in Cape Town, South Africa. I was wandering why the duo of Dimgba and Mike (two inseparable twins) always attended world media congresses without their spouses.
This is because people like me, Mallam Garba Shehu, Kabir Yusuf, Mohammed Haruna and of course, our BOSS, Ismaila Isa were always with our wives. Interestingly, this year’s congress came with a difference. I got more astonished to discover that for the first time, the ‘twins’ came with their better halves. That happened to be the last congress for Dimgba.
In decoding the mystery in his action, I could not but continue to wonder whether Dimgba had a premonition of his death. Only the Almighty knows better.
I could vividly recall that Dimgba was full of life at the congress. We chatted, joked and spoke about their new entertainment paper. At a time, I was hungry and craving for local food. Dimgba came to the rescue, directing me to the Fish Harbour, where I later had a good fill. After each of the sessions, Dimgba and Mike, armed with their micro tape recorders, would comb the congress arena to conduct landmark interviews with reputable media executives from across the globe.
There is no doubt that we will miss Dimgba. All the same, I cannot help imagining that Mike will miss him sorely. This is the reason I felt that Mike is the man to be consoled. He was a soul mate to Dimgba, to put it mildly.
Already, our dear friend Dimgba has been getting effusive tributes from across the board. He is being celebrated by the lowly and the mighty. Dimgba, wherever you are, you can see that you are larger in death.
Mike, though it is painful that death has done its worst to separate you and Dimgba, be consoled with the outpouring of messages and tributes from across the world, just for your ‘twin’ brother. These go to show that you had a friend whose name is worth more than gold. My brother, I urge you at this point to just keep the flag flying.
• FOLU OLAMITI (FNGE)

 IN GOD’S BOSOM
It was shocking news that brought tears to my eyes. Honestly, I find it every difficult to believe until the news circulated on air. Uncle, your death made me to remember what it was like to cry. But no amount of tears can wash away the wound of losing the dearest man in my life. Still I cry because at time it is difficult to stop.
Pastor Dimgba Igwe became one of my divine helpers when I was forced to go to him many years ago as a staff at The Sun. I had taken a co-operative loan to rent an apartment, but a prophet friend discouraged me and forced me (against my wish then) to buy a small property. I had no money left after payment. We prayed together and the prophet told me to approach my boss.
I went to Pastor Dimgba armed with the loan application. I didn’t spend three minutes in his office; he believed in my story and approved my request. And before I got to the Accounts Dept., he had instructed the chief accountant to make sure I got what I wanted!
I didn’t know then, and I’m very sure that he never got to know too, that he had liberated me from the many pangs that go with coming from a polygamous background, by that singular act of mercy. Till today, 13 years after my father died, I have never spent an hour in the house he left as my inheritance (same for every first male child of a Bini/Edo family who performed the proper burial rights for his father) the few times I have had reasons to go home.
I have always stayed on the other side of town with my late aunt.
Therefore, my happiest moments come anytime I hold sway in the three-bedroom home Dimgba encouraged me to build. If you have tasted the very rough and tumble sides of life, I guess you know what I’m talking about.
During our Concord days, Pastor Dimgba would always take as many of us as he could in his car, after work, and drop us off at different points before he branched off on his way home. What a way to go!
I know you are on the path the saints before have trod, marching right onto the Lord’s bosom.
• NIYI OKIRI

FRIEND AND MENTOR
Ogam Dimgba my hero, friend and mentor. As you face the fi­nal curtain (mother earth), I’ll say it clear of which I am cer­tain that you truly lived a fulfilled life.
If there were regrets, I sincerely think you had few.
Too few to mention, you did what you had to do in life accomplished, and planned all charted course each carefully along the highway and saw it through without exemption.
To God be the glory that your work on planet earth was accomplished for your children and those you left behind will remain intact.
As a member of that chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession (1 Peter2: 9,10). My hero and mentor, truly, your life shines on.
Adieu Ogam Di Mgba Igwe
• SAM BOMSS ENWEZOR
Ex-sole distributor, Concord, Rivers, Imo states and environs

SEASONED JOURNALIST AND COMMITTED PREACHER
I knew Pastor Dimgba Igwe in the early 1990s in the course of our nationwide prayer campaign/ rallies for the nation. As part of our strategies for mass mobilisation in the National Prayer Movement, we sought and got the supports of our brethren working in both the print and the electronics media. Brother Dimgba then was the Deputy Editor of the defunct Weekend Concord owned by the late business mogul and politician-Chief M.K.O.Abiola.
It was through Dimgba that I knew the likes of Deacon Femi Adesina and Mr. Shola Oshunkeye who are the current Managing Directors/ Editors-in-Chief of The Sun newspapers in Nigeria and Ghana respectively.
Pastor Dimgba, among other things, really used his goodwill then to support our activities in the National Prayer Movement.
He has made his indelible marks in his primary constituency as a seasoned journalist and a prolific writer/author. He left similar marks too in the body of Christ in Nigeria as a committed Christian and preacher of the word. While we pray that the Lord of good comfort will comfort his bereaved family members and colleagues, we wish him eternal rest in the bosom of the LORD.
• GBEMIGA OLAKUNLE, JP
General Secretary, National Prayer Movement.

GOD’LL EXPOSE
My biggest regret is that I got to know more about Pastor Dimgba Igwe after he has died. I was fascinated when I read his last interview in Kastina State when he went for the guild of Editors Conference His death though very unfortunate and disastrous, has further revealed to the world the decency and greatness in people like Mr. Mike Awoyinfa, Mr. Femi Adesina and a host of his other professional colleagues because of the decent and progressive relationship they maintained with him. It was indeed enviable. Many people including myself drew inspiration from it.
That anybody no matter from where can be your best friend. I have to also advise them to learn lesson from what has happened to Pastor Igwe.
Since their lovely write ups in the newspapers represent the interest and feelings of the masses, particularly the disadvantaged and the civilized ones, it is possible that they may have stepped on toes of some wicked people. Some devils who hate justice may look for any cheap way to deal with them.
God will expose his killer in a more shameful way. There is no doubt that Dimgba’s all round performance has inspired so many people.
He will forever be remembered for his good work. I hereby send my condolence to his dear wife, his children, the management of The Sun Newspapers. May the good Lord continue to strengthen them while Pastor Dimgba’s soul continues to rest in perfect peace. (Amen).
• CHIEF REUBEN M. AJARH, LAGOS

GREAT MENTOR
Pastor Dimgba Igwe is a man to be remembered all the days of my life- a man of integrity, humble personality and full of life. I just can’t forget all Pastor Igwe has done for me. He taught a lot, both spiritually and physi­cally. He also taught me how to invest mon­ey. Whenever you visited him at home, he could quietly open the gate for you and even serve you as a houseboy would. I pray that God will favour and protect his wife and family in the name of Jesus. Amen.
CHARLES CHUKWUEMEKE CHRISTOPHER (C3 Global)



SAINT ON EARTH
Life is a school where reasonable people run to in their early lives because experienced learnt is never forgotten. Mr. Dimgba Igwe was a mentor, friend and father. I was opportune to gain from his vast knowledge. I had him at my beck and call whenever I had need for advice from the late epitome of attitude. Life has suddenly stolen the gem who served as a specialist virtually in all ramifications of life. I lived in the same estate with him when I was a new wig and he made me comprehend what life is all about. Now that I need him to attend my wedding, he is no more. He was a saint on earth from my own observation and experience with him. I sincerely doubt that his peculiar advice can be fetched from another being.
• EDDY OKAFOR

HIS LITERARY EXPOSI­TIONS REKINDLE HOPE
I don’t understand why bad things hap­pen to good people. It is not to say that Igwe was a perfect man but he was a good man. Why? A writer shows who he is from his writings and thus the style of Dimgba Igwe’s writings showed his humble nature and humanness.
Dimgba’s contribution to journalism and pastoral work gives one the insight that he was a literati, intellectual and leader whose literary expositions rekindle hope and raise intellectual pugilism within academic and intellectual discourses.
From his intellectual fecundity, he has been able to change lives positively through millions of readers and as such he was a role model.
This has manifested in the volume of condolences the family has received since his demise.
As for Igwe’s family, grieve no more. Take solace that Dimgba is free and will rest in peace. Take courage that his work remains a pointer that he was a good man. For the hit-and-run driver, it is only if he/she reports to the law enforcement agents – he cannot be free because God is watching.
OBIOHA GEORGE (PhD. in view)
Unilag.

 ADIEU, MY ENGLISH LECTURER
I almost fainted when I heard the news of the sudden death of my mentor, English lecturer and role model. My blood pressure (BP) rose astronomically to almost a fatal level.
I started reading this wordsmith (Dimgba) when he was with the Concord group of newspapers as far back as 1980s, when I was in Maiduguri, Borno State. Going down memory lane, I recall with nostalgia, that it was through his articles that I first came across such uncommon vocabularies like: – labyrinths, schizophrenia, ire, silhouette, cacophony, sobriquet, miry, asymmetrical, debauchery, profligacy, and another tongue-twisting one, metastasised etc.
Each time I read his column, I had always used a red pen to underline those unfamiliar words, after which I would look them up in my dictionary.
Suffice it to say that my vocabulary and use of English were greatly enriched by this journalist par excellence.
As the entire nation deeply mourns his traumatic exit, we are consoled by the scriptures in the Book of Isaiah: 57:1-2, which says: “The good men perish; the godly die before their time and no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to realise that God is taking them away from evil days ahead.
For the godly who die shall rest in peace”
• UBA OKOH
Enugu



ELEGY FOR
DIMGBA IGWE
Mister Death
A wicked and murderous monster,
Mr. Death is always busy,
Killing good and innocent people.
At morning, noon and night,
The unpleasant job is continuous.
Mr. Death sleeps not,
Twenty-four hours a day,
Seven days a week,
Twelve months a year,
Mr. Death is busy,
Doing dirty deeds as delegated by Devil.
Affected are people of all ages;
Both male and female; the weak
and the mighty.
Mr. Death would devour without
remorse,
Without recourse to family feelings,
Financial and social status.
Operating under his master’s motto,
“Devil’s case hears no appeal”,
Dying is delicious,
And man must die!
Graveyard – his last earthly bus stop.
Mr. Death cuts people’s lives
prematurely,
Makes people lose their loved ones,
Makes people orphans, widows,
widowers,
Makes people gather, grieve and
gloomy,
Makes people waste manpower,
money and materials
Hey! Mr. Death,
Why not break?
Why not go on leave?
Why not go on sabbatical?
To make people temporarily rejoice.
Know you Mr. Death,
Time shall come, on the last day,
When you shall do your job no more.
As your family ‘trinomy’ – Lucifer,
devil and demon,
Would be cast into the lake of fire
forever.
Oh! Nemesis, pursue the exterminator.
Catch up with the diligent destroyer,
Give him no rest,
Until the Creator’s word is finally
fulfilled.
The Author and Arbiter of the race.
MR. OLIVER IHEBINIKE
(writer & seminar speaker), Ijeshatedo,
Surulere, Lagos

HOW HE SAVED MY CAREER
BY ISMAIL OMIPIDAN
As a devout Muslim, I know God doeth all things. But He uses people to make those things possible- in our individual upward social mo­bility or career growth.
The late Igwe was my own God-sent. But for him, I probably would have resigned from The Sun, six years ago, barely three years after he had visited one of the States in the North- East, to again intervene on my behalf and that of the management, after I was declared a persona-non-grata, in the state.
When the news of his death first filtered in , it was my mother who first called me from Otukpo. I did not even know she remembered him. She said: “Oga yin y’o wa ilu ibi yo tin sise ni igba yi governor gb’ogun ti e ko nu ni?” (Meaning: Is that not your boss, who visited your station, during your running battle with the governor?) I said yes, he was the one. She said again: “Oun ko l’owi komo kuo ni Sun ni?” (Is he not the same person that saved your career in The Sun?) I said yes. Finally, in deep agony, she said: “O ma se o, Abiyamo ku oro ibi. Won pa ni
o!” (It is a pity. They must have killed him.) I had no answer to that.
She now went ahead to pray for all of us journalists, especially, those of The Sun family, that God would always protect us against enemies, who pretend to be our friends.
Throughout late Igwe’s sojourn on earth, I had encounters with him, three times. The first encounter was in June 2003, barely a month after I joined The Sun family. We were assembled in Lagos for an editorial conference, in preparation for our daily publication then.
During that session, he told me the things I could do to make The Sun outstanding in my area of jurisdiction. He reminded me of a story I did of a little boy that was put in chains by the parents, for wanting to acquire western education (Boko Haram), when I was with the Comet, (now defunct). He instructed me to look for more of such stories. I did as I was told, and the rest today is history.
The second encounter was when he visited my station, in 2005. Before his visit, I was already apprehensive of my continued stay in the place, following several threats from the then governor, his father and supporters. On his arrival, we were getting set to go to the Government House, when the governor sent a message that the management team should not come to the Government House, with me. And Pastor Dimgba simply said: “Ismail, it is obvious; the man wants to discuss you. Just stay back, we will see you, the next day.”
When we met the next day, my boss again said: “Ismail, we are proud of you. We don’t expect less. Elsewhere, what we hear is that government is pocketing reporters. But here, what we are hearing is that you have refused to be pocketed by government. Ordinarily, we would have asked you to remain here. But we don’t want to lose you, because the man said any day he wakes up to see you, the day is spoilt.”
My late boss actually wanted me to come to Lagos, because according to him, I would grow faster on the job in Lagos. But I was reluctant. He then picked the phone again and called me to admonish me, to proceed to Abuja, saying “from what I have seen of you so far, you are not the type of reporter that will go Abuja and be buried.” I listened to him and proceeded to Abuja. To God be the glory, I was indeed not ‘buried’.
The third encounter was in 2008, shortly after my wedding. I had put in my notice of resignation. When it was brought to his knowledge, he again stepped in and stopped the resignation. That singular encounter was gratifying and reassuring. He told me to remain focused, declaring that my future was bright at The Sun. That was how my notice of resignation was withdrawn.
Before I returned to my station, I was refunded the cost of my return tickets!
Because the meeting took place barely four months after my wedding, he found out from the Administration Department, if management got my wedding invitation. Once that was confirmed, he again approved another N50, 000 for me as wedding gift, and impressed it on the Administration Department to process same immediately, so I could travel with the cash.
For a man that did this much in my career, there was probably no better way to pay my last respect to him, other than to forgo my Sallah celebration last Saturday, to join others in Lagos, to say a final good bye to the late quintessential media guru, since the call of duty would deprive me of his interment at Igbere.
To the murderer, of my late boss, who continues to delude himself that he remains anonymous, he should know that God, the Almighty, is watching him.
Finally, my admonition to him: The two Scriptures are clear on the issue of forgiveness. Before you seek for God’s mercy, you must see the family of my late boss, to apologise to them and beg for their forgiveness. For that is the only way, you can clear the doubts of some of us, who still believe that our boss might have been killed. Unless and until you do that, your family will know no peace.

FOUGHT A GOOD FIGHT
When I read the shocking news of Dimgba Igwe in the na­tional dailies, I was totally devastated because of the way we lost my brother at the prime time of his career. Abia State has lost their in­dustrious, committed and God-fearing son, who has carved a niche for himself, his state and the country in the field of journalism.
He and Mike Awoyinfa are my mentors; unfortunately, I have never met them. But their work and feature materials both in the then Concord Newspapers and The Sun were articles of faith for me as an aspiring reporter then who wanted to excel in this profession. Their work spurred me greatly that my little outstanding performance in the job could not be completed without mentioning their names.
He was a trainer, teacher, preacher, author, journalist, community leader, good husband and father, a colossus, sportsman and harmoniser.
The consolation I have for my late brother, Dimgba Igwe is that he distinguished himself, paid the price and he is waiting for the Heavenly Father to crown his earthly journey with the crown of glory for a work well done.
• CHIEF BEN NGWAKWE
KSJ, JP, Gombe-based journalist and political analyst.

DESTINY BUILDER
He lives on in our minds.
His death is a colossal loss to his family and the journalism world.
He is one man whose intellectual prowess I have always admired.
I praise God for the salvation of the soul of this great and firm servant of His, late Pastor Dimgba Igwe.
This made-in-heaven salt has seasoned many lives including mine, and that of my family, he touched our lives, in no small measure. He was the road map to the success of many families, foundation and pillar of many homes and undeniable blessing to every single person that came across him.
This great vine supplies to every of his branches, he will not only give you a fish, he will teach you how to catch fishes.
It might interest you to know that I was member of staff of The Sun Publishing Limited and this great legend was my road map to achieving that goal.
He was a general in God’s army and he had everything it takes to be a great role model.
• MR. & MRS. PETER U. NWOBOSHI

GONE TO BE WITH GOD
A man who came, saw and conquered in journalism, a reporter, writer, columnist, editor, media manager, author and publisher. He was indeed a successful journalist and also did very well as a minister of God.
We never knew you would die so soon like that. Your death came as a surprise to everybody but not to God. You are a burning memory in our minds.
He left the stage in the grand-set style ever possible through one of his articles, “When I see God, I will ask Him questions.”
I believe that he is with GOD now. Dimgba Igwe and his words were immortal. He has gone to the “land of the spirits”.
But Dimgba lives! He will be remembered and celebrated as a well-rounded journalist. He set a very high standard in writing articles from the days of illustrious Weekend Concord in 1989.
The drummer calls a mighty man only but twice, in life and in death. “ Adieu a legend”. DIMGBA dike ka-ibu, jee nke oma!
• PRINCE AMAECHI OBIKA
Anambra Youths Restoration Forum

ADIEU, MY OGA
Oga Dimgba’s death, unbelievable! It is a big tragedy. I am pained by his death to the marrow.
I worked in various media houses, I must confess I never met a managing director like him. He made an impact in my life while in The Sun, spiritually and otherwise.
It is with a great sense of sadness, pain and sorrow that I write this tribute to our Dear Oga Igwe and man of God.
FROM GERMAN ALONGE & FAMILY

YOU KINDLED MY INTEREST IN JOURNALISM
I nnalilahi Wahina Ile Rojiun (We came from God, we shall surely re­turn back to Him). Dimgba Igwe, my respected journalist, the type of stories, features and interviews gathered by him, his styles of presentation fired my love for journalism.
I just hope his counterpart, Mike Awoyinfa, would find the courage to bear the loss. I won’t forget Dimgba Igwe in my journalism ambition.
May Allah forgive him and count him among the image of Paradise.
ADEBAYO NURUDEEN BOLAJI
Ejigbo, Lagos State.

IROKO HAS FALLEN
The Iroko has fallen…the birds are flying now without perching. Oh Dimgba Igwe, you stood tall in the cause of re-defining Nigeria’s history through robust journalism anchored on truth, fearlessness and above all, on the true essence of the Nigerian spirit.
During your little but fulfilling sojourn on earth, you broke the medal, trying to redefine this noble profession and encountered so many troubles in the cause of doing this solemn assignment and when the time was near, you were called home to rest in the bosom of the Lord.
We the mortals mourn your demise but with total belief in the wholesomeness of God’s decision, we have bowed to His own will to certainly accept that you have gone and gone for real.
Though we still relapse in tears when we remember you have gone, there are some certain things that will continue to keep us going in life, especially the fact that you fought a good fight, kept the faith and have indeed gone to take the crown of salvation reserved for you in the Kingdom of God.
CHIEF CHRIS CHIDUME
Krisoral Group of Companies.

JOURNALIST EXTRAORDINAIRE
Pastor Dimgba Igwe loved his profession and devoted his time and energy towards making the society better through the mighty power of the pen.
He remains a mentor to most of us.
Death surely is a debt we must all pay.
Every iron must pass through this furnace.
What is important, therefore, is the legacy left behind.
Dimgba Igwe made his mark in his chosen profession. Now, no more headline or deadline pressures.
Sleep well, brother…
CHIOTU NNAMDI
African First Ladies Peace Mission, Abuja.

GOD WILL COM­FORT HIS FAMILY
Iroko has fallen, leaving scrubs to the vagaries.
May God comfort his family to con­tain the miseries with fortitude and will to bear the excruciating loss.
His soul triumphant finds favour in God in whose company he will take delight.
CHIEF DR. MAYOR EMA
NWACHUKWU
(Ikemba Ibinaukwu Igbere)


TOO GOOD TO DIE NOW
The last time I saw Oga Dimgba was on Thursday, September 4. I was with him in his house at Okota for about an hour discussing how we would move Entertainment & Sunday Ex­press forward, not knowing that would be our last discussion.
My wife and I received the sad news through Mr. Femi Salawu in a text massage: “It’s a very sad day for EE family. Oga Dimg­ba Igwe died this morning in an accident.”
It hit me like a thunderbolt. No, it can’t be true, I said to myself. It was like a nightmare.
I rushed down to his residence only to see some of the family and church members crying and praying. I didn’t know when I burst into tears. I remember Mrs. Eno Onyeneke and Mr. Austin Ofoma trying to hold me but I found it difficult to control my emotion. It was when EE team paid Mrs. Obioma Igwe and the family a condolence
visit on September 8, that Oga’s second daughter (Victory) reminded me of how I cried like a baby.
I replied that it was worth it because it was three years plus since I started working closely with my late Oga. I was employed as Advert Executive of Entertainment Express.
Since I was to report directly to him, I saw the employment as an opportunity to learn and tap from Pastor Dimgba Igwe’s (and his twin brother and best friend, Mr. Mike Awoyinfa) wealth of knowledge and experience.
I knew them far back as MD & DMD in The Sun Newspaper, which they pioneered and nurtured to an enviable height. As an executive that worked under Oga Dimgba’s supervision, how do I recount my moments with him?
Is it the fatherly advice? Gentle voice? Encouragement? Or his exemplary lifestyle? His motivating words kept me going.
Whenever I won any advert business and I informed Oga Dimgba, what I would hear is: “Great, that’s good, well done, thank you.” And that always gingered me to do more so that I could hear those sweet words from him.
We related like father and son. I remember he was to chair my wedding on May 10, but because of his busy schedule that day, he provided me with another boss of mine, Mr. Steve Nwosu, ED, The Sun.
Oga Dimgba gave me a fat cheque as a wedding gift, which my wife and I cannot forget.
Oga served God and touched lives with his profession. I know he has gone to be with his Maker.
Adieu, my great Oga, motivator and inspiration.
KAYODE OYENIRAN ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS


‘ HE USED TO GIVE ME N5,000 FOR A N500 HAIRCUT’
Mr. Dimgba Igwe was a mentor, friend and father. I was opportune to gain from his vast knowledge. I had him at my beck and call whenever I had need for advice from the late epitome of attitude. Life has suddenly stolen the gem who served as a specialist virtually in all ramifications of life.
Pastor Dimgba was an epitome of strength and embodiment of humility. He was a very simple man, playful and of good character; an outstanding man of great honour, sincerity and justice to the highest order.
He usually has his hair cut on Thursdays. I will walk down to his residence and render my service. After my humble service to him, the amiable and generous Diopa will handsomely give me the sum of N5,000 instead of the usual N500.
I really appreciated his generosity and kind gestures. His sudden demise is a great loss particularly to the family, the church, Ndigbo and Nigeria in general.
I pray that God in his infinite mercy and compassion will grant him eternal rest. Amen.
MR. SIMON AJAH
Personal barber to Mr. Dimgba Igwe

WE LOST AN ANGEL
Oga Dimgba! The only thing that gratifies me about your shocking death is that you put me and YES INTERNATIONAL! Magazine on the world map by granting us your last interview on earth. However, I still believe that you shouldn’t have died.
You were such a nice man, an angel, a saint. At least, my kid brother and your editor at Entertainment Express, Azuh Amatus confirmed it. Rest in peace, sir! And worry no more. The Lord will comfort your family; the Lord will also comfort your ‘twin brother’, Oga Mike Awoyinfa.
•AZUH ARINZE
Publisher/Editor in Chief,
YES INTERNATIONAL! Magazine
 DEATH IS CRUEL AND WICKED
I never had the chance of meeting Pastor Dimgba Igwe, but his death affected me as though we were very close! I read his Side View column every Tuesday. He was a great writer.
If I was heart broken, I wonder how shattered his immediate family members, his twin brother from another tribe, Mike Awoyinfa, his colleagues and close associates would be.
Death was cruel to have taken him away in his prime, at a time we needed him most.
From the tributes I read from top journalists, particularly The Sun family, Dimgba was amazingly good- a loving husband, caring father, loyal friend, worthy companion, mentor and child of God, which reflected in all his write-ups in Side View. I regret not meeting him at least once!
For a man I was never close to, yet the impact of his death was overwhelming. Each time I bought The Sun, I cried like a baby. Oh, death is cruel and wicked for snatching away Dimgba and leaving us devastated.
Let’s be consoled that Dimgba lived well, however short. He left legacies of good work.
If we live well too in this part of eternity, we shall meet again at the feet of the Lord, where there will be no weeping or pain. Good night, Igwe!.
• ONUH ANAYOCHUKWU
Sapphire Network, Abuja
CAN’T SAY GOODNIGHT
I write this tribute with sadness, pains and sorrow in my heart. Dimgba, pastor and prolific writer, will forever live in the minds of the good people of Nigeria. When a cousin of mine called to tell me of his death, I couldn’t believe it. I aborted the call only to see it as break­ing news. I couldn’t still believe my eyes. When it dawned on me that the news was true, that my great uncle, Pastor Dimgba Igwe was dead, tears couldn’t stop flow­ing because many of us saw him as the nearest person to God. September 6, 2014 (Black Saturday) would be indelible in our minds.
Indeed, the Ndioke Family in Umuikpo in Okafia Autonomous Community, Igbere in Bende LGA of Abia State has really lost an illustrious son, a man who shoulders others’ burdens as if they were his. Dimgba Igwe may be dead but he is forever alive in our minds, his legacies both in the journalism profession and the lives that he touched will definitely speak for him.
Now that the man who brought me to the world of journalism, the man who could give all just to make others happy, my boss, father and uncle has gone to his Maker, who should I run to? Who would give me the listening ears as you always did?
Dim Dimgba, you should have stayed a little longer for us. I’m devastated and drowned in the ocean of agony. I just wished it was a dream. Journalism history in this country won’t be complete if your name isn’t mentioned because you have imprinted your name in the sands of time. This irreparable loss can never be recovered. Never wished to say goodnight to you, Uncle, but I have no choice. Goodnight and rest in peace. Amen.
• MADUKWE EMMANUEL AKANDU
Igbere, Bende Local Government Area of Abia State.

THOROUGHBRED LEADER
I had a golden opportunity to physically come close to Pastor Dimgba Igwe (then Deputy Managing Director of The Sun) at the then New Kirikiri Industrial Estate Association where I was representing my company. As the chairman of the association, he was a perfect role model.
His carriage and the way he anchored every meeting stood him out as a thoroughbred leader, perfect gentleman, man of God and a man of great erudition. His voice always sounded harmless but carried power. He was very motivational.
KEHINDE IWALA
Saima Nigeria Ltd, Lagos.

TESTIMONIES AND INTERVIEWS… DIMGBA IGWE 1956-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment