Wednesday 24 September 2014

Morocco 2015: Don’t kill our Nations Cup dream, Keshi tells Giwa

Super Eagles’ Coach, Stephen Keshi, has opened on sundry issues concerning Nigerian football, begging Nigerians not to completely write-off his team despite their poor run so far in the race to Morocco 2015.
Keshi’s biggest worry, however, appeared to be the threat of court action hanging on the NFF ahead of the soccer federation’s September 30 elections in Warri.
The Eagles gaffer pointed out that the Eagles may not play the next game against Sudan should the Chris Giwa faction head to court, as that would attract FIFA’s wrath that would see Nigeria being banned.
Keshi, who spoke with the journalists after a closed door meeting and inspection of the Abuja National Stadium with the Minister of Sports and Chairman, National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Tammy Danagogo in Abuja, also approved the stadium to host Eagles matches, stressing that there was a remarkable improvement on the playing turf.
He also spoke on his lingering contract, the release of the Super Eagles team list for the qualifier against Sudan, declaring that the list would be ready for submission to the Glass House latest today.

Court order
If actually the court order has been served, it means we might not play the game against Sudan because what it means is that FIFA might ban Nigeria.

Clamour to draft Iheanacho to Super Eagles
The truth is that he just started, but Nigerians should know that I was the first person to list him and Awoniyi in the Eagles. Just because he played two matches for Manchester City everybody is now clamouring for him to be drafted to the Eagles. He is a good player we will need some day, but we have other matured and experienced players doing well right now.
Iheanacho is not ready now for national team. As for the players to be invited, basically, I will invite a lot of them but I cannot reveal their identities now. We have to wait until the names are out.

On Obafemi Martins
I did not say that Obafemi Martins is too old for the Super Eagles. Nigerian media are always misquoting me. I would not have said that he is too old when we still see Lampard and older players still playing for England.
If he can play for his team and do well, so be it. What I said is that we have younger players up front that I need better than Obafemi. So if the media interpret as old, it is their problem.

Super Eagles qualification
I perfectly understand the feelings of Nigerians towards the qualification, I equally feel that way as a Nigerian. But I urge Nigerians not to give up because we still have four matches to play. We are going to fight until the end of the qualifier matches. As patriotic Nigerians, I urge them not to write off the team.
They have to stand behind the team and have confidence in them that they will qualify. We are not doing them any good abusing and cursing them. It will not solve the problem.
The truth is that the players are not the losers if we don’t qualify because they will continue playing and earning from their clubs but me and you will miss the Nations Cup tournament. We must nurture the players but not pamper them. We must encourage.

September 30 deadline for renewal of his contract
I never gave anybody any deadline and I don’t even know where the information came from.
Releasing Eagles list
The timetable is there and normally it is two weeks to the match. The truth is that I am still compiling the list and hopefully I will be done tonight and whoever I will hand it over to will get it tomorrow (Wednesday).

Signing his contract
Actually, the contract was part of what I discussed with the Honourable Minister, but the truth is that we are still talking and nothing very concrete has been reached. It is so because we don’t have football federation president. Ideally, it should be contract with him and I.
Whatever I am doing now is just for us to move ahead and make things easy for the next executive committee coming on board.
Game against Bafana Bafana
I did feel bad because I had an away draw, but it wasn’t totally bad, after all we will still engage Bafana Bafana here in Nigeria. Nigerians should please pray for us.

Morocco 2015: Don’t kill our Nations Cup dream, Keshi tells Giwa

No comments:

Post a Comment